Work In Canada

How to Get Accredited to Work in Canada


Want to apply for a job in Canada but don’t know if it’s necessary or how to get accreditation? The Canadian immigration system is very specific, especially when it comes to finding a qualified position in Canada. Certain professions, such as those in the medical field and the skilled trades, must be certified. This is to ensure that your skills are on par with Canadian standards.

Approximately 30,000 Canadian work visas are issued to foreign workers each month and approximately 24,000 invitations to apply (ITAs) for permanent residence through Express Entry programs.

Being able to work in Canada can be as easy as finding the right employment and immigration program for you. The not so easy part is making sure you have all the necessary supporting documents and submitting them with an accurate and complete application. 1 in 4 Canadian visas are rejected simply because requirements and deadlines are not met, as well as because instructions are not followed.

This is why it is so important to have a proper assessment by trusted professionals, before submitting your application. Not only will immigration lawyers and Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) be able to help you choose from over 100 immigration and visa programs, but they will also be able to tell you exactly what you need to apply, although you need accreditation or not.

How to Get Canadian Accreditation

How to find out if you need accreditationAdvertisements

If you fall under one of the following categories you will need to have your credentials assessed.

  • Plan to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker;
  • Plan to live and work in Canada in a specific profession or trade; or
  • Plan to study in Canada.

What are credentials?

Your credentials include:

Credentials that need to be assessed

  • Education (if completed outside of Canada);
  • Work experience; or
  • Professional credentials.

How to get accredited as a Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)

Federal skilled workers need to get Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) to get a job in Canada. This includes any educational credentials acquired outside of Canada, like a:

  • diploma;
  • certificate;
  • foreign degree; or
  • other proof of your credential.

Certain jobs in Canada also require that your skills and training are assessed and accredited.

Typical Jobs in Canada That Need Accreditation

Some occupations in Canada, especially trades, require an assessment of your skills.

Canada has two types of jobs; regulated and unregulated.

Regulated jobs

Regulated jobs in Canada are governed by provincial, territorial and sometimes federal laws and are also governed by regulatory bodies or learning authorities.

About 20 percent of jobs in Canada are regulated jobs called occupations, skilled trades, or trades in training, such as architects, plumbers and engineers.

It is especially important that they are regulated to ensure public health and safety, as well as to ensure that employees are qualified.

You will need the following items to practice a regulated profession in Canada.

Requirements to work in a Regulated Job

  • A license or certificate; or
  • Be registered with the regulatory body for your job in the province or territory to want to work in.

Keep in mind that the requirements may differ from province to province and will be assessed on their own merits (on a case-by-case basis), but generally involve:

  • having your training and skills assessed against the job’s standards
    • this is done by comparing your training with the training provided by Canadian colleges and universities
    • you’ll need to show your original academic transcripts and other related documents, such as university course descriptions
  • having your language and communication skills tested
  • written exams, an interview or both
  • a specified period of supervised work experience


Trade workers may be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

Depending on your trade, for example if you’re a baker, carpenter or electrician, you may need a Red Seal.

Non-regulated jobs

Non-regulated jobs in Canada don’t necessarily require having accreditation; however it could be requested by your Canadian employer. This is why it’s better to get accredited, regardless of your occupation requirements as it could improve your chances of being hired.

Typical Jobs in Canada that Require Accreditation
Professional Jobs
Registered Nurses
Trade Jobs
Industrial butchers

Important to note

No matter what job or profession you work in, language skills in English and/or French are a must. But unfortunately, for some professions, skills are not enough. It is more important to check what level of language skills should be based on your profession.

Credential Assessment Process

Step 1: Create a job market report

You can create a report using Job Bank, the official government job search forum. You will be able to find information about your main functions, your salaries, whether regulated or not, training requirements and skills, as well as providing you with the contact details of your regulatory body or learning authority.

Step 2: Find your occupational profile

You can learn more about your specific professional profile by visiting the CICIC website. All you need to do is enter your occupation or the National Occupational Classification code, as well as the province or territory where you want to work. This will tell you if your profession is regulated or not, your skill level and type, as well as whether or not you need a red stamp (exchanges).

For example, as a mechanic looking for a job in Canada, you can see below that even though your trade is not regulated in Manitoba, you will need a Red Seal certification.

Once you know the requirements, you can compare your skills with those required.

Step 3: Contact a regulatory body

The next step is to contact your chosen provincial council or Canadian regulatory authority to find out exactly what training, skills or certification you need to get accredited. Some of these can be purchased before you arrive in Canada, such as your language assessments.

Step 4: Gather your documents

You may need some of the following documents:

  • degrees, diplomas or certificates from:<.li>
    • universities
    • colleges
    • secondary schools
    • trade schools
  • education-related:
    • transcripts of grades
    • program descriptions
    • syllabi related to your studies
  • letters from professional and other regulatory bodies
  • apprenticeship or professional certificates
  • employer:
    • letters of reference
    • performance reviews
  • work descriptions for jobs you’ve done.

Depending on your regulatory board requirement you may be asked to submit translated documents in English and/or French. Make sure that you

  • use an approved translation service (if so, you’ll have to pay for the translation)
  • give them original documents or whether you’ll need a lawyer to notarize copies; and
  • provide certified copies.

Step 5: Consult an approved assessment agency

If having your credentials assessed isn’t part of applying for your license you may want to think about using an approved assessment agency. This will tell you if you:

  • need to upgrade your skills or education to work in your occupation
  • should consider looking for a different job in your field
  • should look for a job in a different field

One Comment

  1. I am Nizamuddin. I from Afghanistan to help us because our lives are in danger. We are under the threat of the Taliban and there is no field for work and education. We want to save us from this danger.

Leave a Reply